For a while now she will say "poop", run and get a diaper and wipe and hand it to me. So four days ago, I decided it was time to potty train Brooklyn. I have a strict way of potty training. If you go pee, you get one sticker and one piece of candy, and if you poop, you get two stickers and two pieces of candy. The first chart has 5 places for a sticker and they get a "special surprise" or get to do something special when they chart is full. The next chart has 10 spots, the next 15, etc, until I feel like I can take it away. Well, four days ago, I set everything up and I was ready to potty train, or so I thought. That morning (talking four hours) Brooklyn had EIGHT accidents! We went through eight pairs of pants and underwear. I literally spent the whole morning cleaning up pee (and yes, poop too). By naptime I was done. But Brooklyn woke up and wanted to wear underwear. She put them on, pooped in them, and I told her she was wearing a diaper. She just wasn't ready. It was a LONG day and I had given up.
Fast forward two days....yes just two days (being New Year's Eve). She refused that morning to wear a diaper. I fought with her for 20 mins and gave up. She was running around with a shirt on and butt naked. Finally she said she was "cold" and went and got some of Ayla's underwear. Of course, I wouldn't let her wear those and handed her a pair of hers. Then she put on pants too. Aunt Tricia and the boys came over for a play date. She stayed dry for two hours, Aunt Tricia even took her into the potty and she didn't go but they had a grand old time in there with an Elmo's potty time book that made sounds. Then at lunchtime, she went!!!! Yes, I took her in there and she didn't tell me she had to go, but she went! She went poop (yeah, I know most of you don't care to know this) soon after on the potty. Then she went down for nap (in a pull-up) and stayed dry. She got up, and peed. She did this several times. The last time she went, she told us she needed to, went in there and did her business. By the end of the night she filled her potty chart. She peed three times and pooped. She did have two accidents, but that comes with it (so I have been told, Ayla never had accidents...or very rarely).
So we wake up on New Year's Day to a DRY diaper (this is 13 hours later), and rush her to the bathroom. She goes. All day, she goes. A total of peeing 9 times and pooping once (yes, her second chart got filled up today too). Again, she stayed dry at naptime. The difference today: She was telling us when she needed to go (in time to get her to the toilet). I am so proud of her and she is so proud of herself. She was supposed to go to daycare tomorrow, but I am keeping her home an extra couple of days so we can work on mastering this skill. I hope it continues as well as it has!
I have been completely shocked by this from Brooklyn. Ayla potty trained at 17 months, but Ayla was very vocal. Brooklyn isn't. I love how they are different, but this one, Brooklyn really surprised me on. I'm proud of you, B!
Brooklyn yesterday with her first potty chart all filled up and her special surprise; Minnie Mouse underwear and fruit snacks!





No comments:
Post a Comment